Friday, August 6, 2010

Try Not to Wake Sleeping Beauty

When I was in college, I lived in an all-girl’s dorm. The top floor only had thirteen rooms and twenty-five girls so we were very close. We didn’t get a lot of unintentional foot traffic, so we left our doors unlocked a good deal of the time. I had to rethink that after one embarrassing incident.

When I was a senior one of my friends was dating a football player. I knew who he was, of course, but I had yet to meet him. One night, he was visiting Mary in the dorms. They got to talking and she mentioned me.

“You know Amy.”

“Nope, I don’t think so.”

“Sure you do. She works in the cafeteria. She’s really short with straight, light brown hair. She works the desk a lot or behind the line.”

“Um, maybe, I’m not sure.”

So, Mary decided to see if I was in.

I was in alright. I was sound asleep, probably drooling or snoring or both. That, however, didn't stop Mary. She barged in and, bringing her boyfriend right over to my flannel-clad shape,  whispered, “Do you recognize her now?”

He wasn’t sure so he got really close to my bed and leaned way over. Peering at me so intently, I am certain he was mesmerized by my sleeping beauty.

“Oh, yeah. I know who she is!”

“See. I told you. I knew you’d recognize her.”

Thankfully, I slept through their unexpected visit and only learned about it the next morning. The girls on the floor all thought it was hysterical, but I could only imagine what it would have been like to suddenly wake up in a pitch black room only to see a big, hulking, strange man inches from my face!

I had forgotten this story until I saw the latest episode of Dark Shadows. Poor Maggie was sound asleep, fighting off nightmares, when the French doors to her room slowly opened and Barnabas Collins strolled in. He stood at the foot of the bed staring at Maggie.

I could easily imagine how she would have felt had she startled awake at that moment. Fortunately, she remained asleep just like I did. She didn't see Barnabas’ fangs illuminated in the moonlight while I only missed the silly whisperings and giggles of my friend and her boyfriend.

No comments:

Post a Comment