Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Oh, How Time Flies!

I have often wondered what it would be like to live in another time…

I like the 1920s clothing and the dances and the music…but I also like a lovely glass of wine now and then…

I enjoy big band music and think dancing in a grand ballroom to Glenn Miller would have been divine. Of course, there was that whole depression aspect that might not have been so fun…

I love the 1950s. I adore the clothes and the music. How fun to have a poodle skirt and dance to Elvis! Then again there is the whole “a-woman’s- place-is-in-the-home” mentality that I might not have stomached very well…

So I guess I will stay where I am…which is what I am certain Vicky Winters is thinking…

In the middle of a séance, while Carolyn is faking that she is the long-dead Sarah and Barnabas is quivering with fear that the real Sarah might vindictively reveal his secret, Vicky is suddenly possessed. She begins to tattle on Carolyn, saying that she is not telling the truth. Suddenly, the lights go out and a scream rends the night. When Barnabas finds the light, we discover that Vicky is no longer in the room. Another woman, dressed in strange clothing has taken her place. And what of Vicky?

She discovers herself in the old house, which is actually the only house…in 1795!

This is an interesting story arc. We are finally going to learn what caused Barnabas to be turned into a vampire. It seems he has angered a young woman, the maid of his fiancée, by trifling with her affections. The angry girl vows she will teach him a lesson and almost kills him. She changes her mind at the last minute and we are left to wonder what she will do next. Poor Vicky, in the meantime, must figure out a way to explain her appearance, her clothing, and her odd behavior. The Collins’ family somewhat reluctantly agrees to keep her on as Sarah’s nanny.

1795…cumbersome clothes, no rights for women, no indoor plumbing, no chocolate peanut butter pie…I think I will stay right here and simply enjoy the music and clothes of another time.

I am sure I can bring back pillbox hats, crinolines, and long gloves. I’ll think about how while I enjoy a small glass of wine and some chocolate chip cookies fresh from the oven. Ah, the joy of 2010…

No comments:

Post a Comment